Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bones, Beach, Blechs...

Since this is a blog that I hope will serve as somewhat of a journal for our children, I feel I need to mention that Brogan fractured his leg last month.  How?  We have no idea.  In fact, he didn't start showing signs of limping until it had already started healing.  I felt like the worst mommy ever when we took him in for an x-ray and they said, "He has a fracture.  It appears to be about two weeks old and is already healing."  Anyway, no cast was needed and on August 8th, he received a clear bill of health.  I am now paranoid that he is going to fracture it again, or fracture something else.  Every time he falls (which is a lot...he likes to dive off of furniture, run into things, etc), I cringe. 

We had a phenomenal time on our beach vacation!   Addi and Brogan LOVED the ocean!! A few memories, I hope to always remember:

1.  The first time the children saw the ocean.  I was trying to keep my expectations low because I thought it might scare them a little bit at first.  It did not.  They ran right in.  Brogan had the water hit his face at least three times and just laughed.  When the water hit Addi's face, she would throw her head back and look at the sky and yell, "Eww, yucky!!" All while giggling, of course.  I had NO idea I would be so overcome with emotion.  I stepped back for a minute and watched Jared play with both kids and I cried.  I thanked God right there for the opportunity to experience something so wonderful with our children.  When we were at the beach a little over three years ago, we didn't even think I'd be able to have children and to see our two babies playing and laughing completely blessed my soul.

2. The first morning we were at the beach, Addi and I went for a walk.  It was early and no one was really in the water yet.  Addi picked up on this and decided she didn't want to be in the water either.  When it came near her, she looked at the ocean, pointed her finger and said, "No ma'am, Ocean!"  This amused everyone around us.  I politely told her that I was glad she had such confidence, but that only God could command the ocean. ;)

3.  Boats - We took a boat ride on the Cape Fear river as well as a Ferry ride to Southport.  I'm not sure if the kids were as excited as I was, but they definitely enjoyed them. :)

4.  We went to the Christmas Shop in Southport.  Love it there!  Addi loved the candy shop and suckered daddy into getting her more than he originally had planned to.

5.  We allowed the kids to have way more ice cream than we normally allow.  In fact, they've never had their own bowl of ice cream before this trip.  One day when we were headed to get some, the following conversation occurred:

Addi: I want ice cream.
Me:  I know you do.  We will get some shortly.
Addi: I don't want shortly, I want ice cream.

6.  The kids were so social.  I knew they were both pretty social any way, but I was amazed at how both of them told so many people, "Hi!"  I felt sorry for the people who had dogs...they didn't just get greeted by hello's.  Brogan would run straight up to them yelling, "dog, dog!"

7.  The car ride to and from the beach was four hours.  The kids did great!!

8.  Since we had not taken a week vacation since before Addi was born, Jared and I had to adjust to how vacations will be for the next couple decades.  We didn't mind this at all...it was just weird not being on our own time table.  We truly enjoyed the time we got to spend on our deck at night looking at the ocean and talking while our babies slept.  Though it was a crazy, hectic vacation at times, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  We love our new normal. :)

Anyway, we came back to reality last Saturday.  We were all sad.  So sad that the kids and I went outside and played in the water for an hour.  This past week was crazy as always.  Brogan got a stomach bug on Tuesday, Addi followed suit on Thursday, I succombed to it on Friday night, and now Jared is feeling achy.  Blech.  Oh well, at least we didn't get sick while we were on vacation.

Here's to another week...it's going to be a VERY exciting one!  More details to come on Monday evening!!! :)  Until that time, have a great week! :)

No comments: