Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Christmas Gift

It's been a sad week.  A man from our church passed away unexpectedly last Saturday leaving behind his wife and 6-year-old son.  A girl that used to be one of the regular cashiers I used while shopping at Wal-Mart was found dead in her car (2 months after she went missing).  She leaves behind a loving family and a three-year-old son.  A little boy that we know (same age as Addi) was diagnosed with Leukemia.  And, of course, the horrible tragedy in Sandy Hook.  It seems like sad news is more prevalent at Christmas time.  Maybe it's just that we are more aware.

I challenge you to look around at the faces of the people you come in contact with this week and really look into their eyes.  Will a smile make a difference?  Will God lead you to do more for an individual?  Will you grow keenly aware of the sadness that so many feel in this joyous season?  I don't know.  I don't know what difference I can make by looking at strangers with compassion. However, that's my prayer this week. That I see the hurt in others eyes and that I react the way God would have me to.  Maybe that's just a smile.  Maybe it's reacting with a whispered prayer. Maybe it's giving of my time, energy or finances.  I'm excited to see what's in store.

In closing, hug your family this week.  Keep them close.  Call those you love.  Tell them you care. Smile at strangers.  Help a friend.  Give the gift of compassion this season.  It might be the best gift we can give.

No comments: