Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Go Away, Jose!

I know a person who is never content...just for the fun of it, let's call the guy, "Jose." I don't know any Jose's so this is a safe name. :) Anyway, Jose is not necessarily a complainer, he's just so discontent in his life that he has to brag about anything and everything that he feels might make him sound important. I do mean EVERYTHING. I even know how much money he saved in car insurance by switching to Geico. I'm not kidding...I really know the actual dollar amount. I also know how much he is getting back in taxes, how much he paid for his house, his car, and the list goes on and on. And no, I'm not married to Jose or even related to him...the guy just lacks all discretion. Anyway, at times I want to shout, "Shut up, Jose!" but I know that's not the nice thing to do. Instead I either pretend I don't hear him, or pray for strength to refrain from rolling my eyes and just politely nod at whatever he says.

I have started feeling kind-of bad for Jose. Jared and I don't have as many material possessions as this guy, we haven't traveled as much of the world, and we certainly can't speak two languages (yep, Jose can) and yet we're happier. Jose is married to a very nice person and he's still not happy. I guess the lesson I've learned, and in fact am reminded of every single day that I'm around Jose, is that my contenment cannot be found in material things, it can't be found in relationships with my family and friends, and it can't even be found in my wonderful relationship with my husband. It is found in Christ. This world may see me as one person, but God totally sees me as His child. Psalm 16:5 says that God is our portion. How comforting to know that whatever needs I have for the day (even the patience to deal with Jose), God will give to me.

No comments: