Thursday, March 28, 2013

Microphones and Umbrellas

Brogan loves to pretend random toys / items around our house are microphones (even though he has more than one microphone to choose from).  When he finds something that is particularly microphone worthy he will carry it around with him for hours.  Currently it is a plastic spoon that I let the kids use to pretend they were cooking.  It is no longer allowed to be used for that because it is his microphone.  He will scream if Addi tries to take it. (We are working on sharing!) What I love...instead of saying "microphone" he will refer to it as his "My God is Awesome." ;)

He is also going through this phase instead of saying, "I want more, please" he just says, "I love more, please."  So if he wants more water, he'll say, "I love more water, please."  :)  Too cute! And I sort-of lied, he doesn't always say "please" with the statement.  That is what I would LOVE him to do, but he is getting better...probably because we CONSTANTLY remind him that he needs to say it. :)

A little story to show that God cares even about our little one's desires.  Sunday it rained like crazy here.  Addi saw a ton of umbrellas at church (yep, we don't have one...well, we have multiple I'm sure, but who knows where).  Anyway, she decided that she wanted an umbrella...in fact, she tried to swipe one. I think it was an innocent act...I mean, would she really try to steal at church?  Anyway, I told her that we would get her one soon.  So Monday we went to Target for some things and as we were walking in she asked for an umbrella.  I told her if I could find one we would get it for her.  Truth: It was not in the budget that I am trying to stick to for the month, so I figured I would be able to distract her from an umbrella by buying her something from the Dollar Spot there and avoiding the umbrella section altogether.  Wouldn't you know that they happened to have an umbrella for $3.00 in that section?  Only one and it was pink...her favorite color.  Now, I'm not saying that it was definitely a God thing - and I know that there are MUCH more important and urgent issues for Him to care about - but seriously, what are the chances that she would want something so badly and I just happen to find a cheap one in her favorite color at the first area we stopped in at the store? Coincidence or not, I whispered a prayer of thanks as I handed the umbrella to my sweet girl.  She was so excited!  She was telling everyone in the store that she was getting an umbrella.  They probably thought, "That poor, deprived child. She must never get anything new." ;)  She loves it...plays with it inside and cannot wait for it to rain!  Note to anyone who may want to try this: Before her bath on Monday night, I let her stand in the tub with her umbrella and turned on the shower.  Water went EVERYWHERE as it bounced off the umbrella and Addi freaked out.  Not my finest mommy moment, but my intentions were good. :)  Oh...and also (mainly for any family that may read this)...money is not so tight that we can't afford to buy things...we are just being frugal and have a strict budget this month since we paid for a certain little girl's birthday party earlier this month. :)

Of course, I was going to be a miser and not buy my little girl an umbrella and yet tonight Jared and I have date night. :)   Priorities...aside from God, our marriage is our biggest priority.  Date night is important.  We don't do it enough, mainly because of time.  That and the fact that we don't like to leave the kids multiple nights a month and we don't have any family in the area, so it costs us $10.00 an hour for a babysitter.  We personally think people should pay us to watch our kids since they are so great and all. ;)  So for now, we only go about once a month...which usually turns out to be once every six weeks or so.  Tonight's the night though and the kids get to spend time with their favorite (and only) babysitter, "L".  She is a blessing and the kids adore her!  She also is struggling with asthma and allergies at this time of year, so if you think about it, please say a prayer for her...I know she can use some tonight. ;)


No comments: