Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Praying for Orphans

I have had the amazing pleasure of following a friend (via her blog and emails) as her and her husband were on their journey towards adopting a little boy from China. They came home today with their precious baby boy! I am so excited for them...thrilled that they have the privilege to be parents to this sweet, adorable little guy and thrilled that their son now has the privilege to have two loving, amazing parents and a new life outside of an orphanage.

Our family has been praying for this family throughout the process, but I kicked up my prayers a bit throughout the last few weeks while they were in China.  By doing this, I learned two things:

1.  I truly believe God has called me to a ministry of intercessory prayer.  What does this mean?  Well, for a long time I've been compelled to pray for people in certain situations - even waking up thinking about situations in the middle of the night.  Most often I would utter a quick prayer and then lay awake thinking about other stuff (things I needed to do, my own circumstances, the kids, etc.).  I have felt guilty about this because, for whatever reason, I truly believe that God wants me to pray specifically and fervently at times for other people and I do not listen to His prompting.  I have realized the last few weeks that I find such joy in really taking the time to pray for others.  It helps take my eyes of myself, my situations, my desires, my needs and makes me feel as though I am doing my part in God's kingdom.  Yes, praying for others can definitely be a ministry...especially when life is so overwhelming and you can't devote time to do ministry in the church as often as you'd like.  There is a lot I don't understand about prayer.  For example: Does my prayer really impact someone else's situation?  Is that why God compels me to pray for others?  Or is it because by praying for others I am changed?  Maybe that's His goal in intercessory prayer.  I truly don't know...and really don't care...I just want to be obedient.  He knows why He places people on my mind...I just need to react to his prompting on a consistent basis.

2.  It made me really think about how blinded I am to the needs of this world.  I spent a couple years working with people in China on a daily basis (my main interactions were via email mostly and Skype a little bit...and I must say, THANK GOD that there are people in China who can speak English!).  I dealt with people in manufacturers that were located in different areas - some very poor from what I understand.  I know they worked very hard (a lot of times more than 12 hours a day for very little pay).  I also knew there was a huge population of orphans in China.  It made me sad to think about, but honestly, it's one of those things that I just didn't let myself think about too much.  Praying for my friends compelled me to start doing a little research on the orphan population in China.  Most of this research led me to other blogs about people who are adopting from China...more pictures of horrible living conditions within China...it truly is a different world.  Do you know that there are quite a few orphanages who cannot even afford to do adoptions?  So, these babies grow up without ever having a chance to be loved by their own set of parents.  Some people are giving up their children in hopes of a better life because they can't afford to care for them...heartbreaking. So much of what I have read has brought tears to my eyes and/or made my mouth drop open in shock.  My friends were blessed to have their son come from a great orphanage, but apparently this is often not the case.  Children are tied to beds, have very little opportunity to play or interact with others, etc.  It is so incredibly sad and I.cannot.get.it.off.my.mind.  It makes me want to do more. Makes me want to help in someway.  I just don't know how (other than by praying) yet.

Jared and I researched adoption before we conceived Addi and were really interested in potentially adopting from Russia...that is now out of the question due to the Russian government not allowing US adoptions.  It's been something we've said we'd like to consider doing at some point, but that's been about the extent of our conversations.  Fast forward to now...I can't get it off my mind and it's driving me crazy.  We are definitely not in a position to adopt or even start the adoption process of a child at this time.  Addi and Brogan are so close in age and still so young and we are completely overwhelmed (mainly in a good way) on a daily basis just trying to raise and care for them.  Besides, we have to go at least 6 months after Brogan is potty-trained before we will even consider adding to our family.  He isn't even close to being potty-trained if that gives you any indication of a timeline. ;)  I am not even sure if it's in God's plan for us to adopt.  However, I feel like there is something that I need to be doing...something my family needs to be doing to help this situation.  For now, I will pray.  Fervently.  Our family will pray.  Addi and Brogan actually know some about China now and know that there was a little boy who was there and who now gets to live with his mommy and daddy.  Addi is very relieved by this...I don't think Brogan understands yet. So, we are going to pray specifically for China for now. I encourage all of you to pray too.  Pray for the children in this world (all countries, or pick a country) who have to go to sleep another night without getting to experience a parent's love.  Pray for the caretakers at the orphanages - some who devote their lives to loving and caring for these sweet children (There are some awesome caretakers out there...I've read about them!).  Pray for the biological parents who - for whatever reason - decided to send their child to an orphanage.  Pray for the people who are in the adoption process...there are so many...who are waiting to go get their child - it is a grueling, tedious, frustrating, incredibly painful and difficult wait.  Pray for those who have adopted children and for the children who have been adopted - that everyone will adjust well.  Many orphans don't even know how to attach themselves to their parents because they never received the love they should have.  Pray for those who are considering adoption, but for whatever reason, just aren't sure they will ever be able to do so.  Most of all...pray that God will be glorified and that lives will be changed for eternity because there are people in this world who answer His call...adopt a child...love on that child...interact with caregivers and guides, etc.  Pray that their lights will shine brightly and that people will want to know why they shine so bright and will ultimately come to know Christ as their personal savior.

In closing...congratulations, again to our sweet friends!  We are so blessed that you allowed us to partake on this journey with you.  Thank you for impacting our lives...and helping to open our eyes.

As my friend's blog states:

Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.  God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act.  Proverbs 24:12

Think about what you can do.  Do it.  If that's praying...do it.  If that's supporting someone in the adoption process...do it.  If that's encouraging someone who is waiting for their child...do it.  If that's adopting...do it.  If that's finding out about the needs of an orphanage and somehow supporting that orphanage...do it.  Don't just think about it...do it.

No comments: